Fear. The fear now is intense. We are facing the biggest fear of every parent...the fear you may lose your child.
I try to silence those fears - the fear of planning a funeral, the fear Sydney's generous gift will be for nothing...but the fears are real. It is like a game of tennis constantly smashing the fear down and another ball being hit at you.
Yesterday as we are moving to the ICU and learning more about rotating doctors and germy public restrooms, I say to the nurse, "Do we really need to go?".
She replies with a firm, "You can't stay here." While I am sure not intended, at that moment it feels like we are being kicked out from the great care we have recently encountered in the bone marrow unit. I can feel the anger raging inside me but know I may explode so I go silent.
They give me a tour and the rules of our new home...a public restroom where all parents and other patients would go, the public shower, eating can only be done in the public eating area where I see another parent with cold symptoms and a runny nose. It is everything we are trying to avoid.
We then go back to the room and in walks an attending physician, a fellow, and a resident who will be rotating shifts every few days (more layers, more connection points). The attending physician informs me we need to put the GI tube back down, and he will need platelets before. I respond, "But his platelets are 26 and that's what they were earlier and the BMT (bone marrow transplant) team recommended we not do more platelets because we are trying to keep his fluid levels down so the air in his GI tract doesn't rupture." Once again, I sound more like a medical professional than a mom. Who is on point? Didn't we just live through this awful chapter a few short weeks ago?
The nurse then goes to put the tube down and grabs a sticker called Tegaderm which Jenson is allergic to. He has an allergy band on his tower of pump machines. Apparently Doug and my positions as police officers have been re-instated.
The accumulation of fears causes meltdown status which ends with me saying, "I'm tired and don't want to play doctor anymore. I just want to be a mom."
I send Doug a text, "I'm not happy."
Doug goes into protection mode and calls the BMT team. My sweetie is protecting his family. Doug has his meltdown too.
The BMT team calms our fears as best as possible assuring us they are still the primary people on point.
They put the GI tube down again (without giving platelets). It is helping. I leave for the evening distraught and exhausted. Where is rock bottom??
The first thing on my mind in the morning is my sweet little boy. Doug gives me the update:
- Jenson ripped the GI tube out again, so now has arm braces to help restrain him.
- He is retaining water and his lungs are starting to fill up with fluid so he needs breathing treatments.
- His kidney functions are elevated so he may need help there also.
- There is a very slight improvement in his pneumatosis.
The BMT nurse tells Doug, it is going to get worse before it gets better. I can't believe rock bottom is still to come.
To avoid the germ filled family room, I make a PB&J sandwhich for lunch to smuggle into the room so I can eat it when the nurses aren't looking.
When I arrive Jenson looks awful. He can only mubble words now, can't sit up, and has his arms restained in addition to all the other issues he had yesterday.
This sucks. Really, where is the mercy?
I tell Jenson, "Keep fighting. You are going to get better and be running in the yard with your sister soon." He answers with a barely audible, "Ok."
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago
Hi! I know you don't know me ,but I attend Life fellowship..My name Is Mozell Mims.My son has been praying for Jesnon for about a month or 2 I didn't know who Jenson was I just always heard his name when my family got into a circle and prayed.My family will continue to pray for Jenson and your family ..I can't imagine what your going through ,but please hold on and know that God is always there at our worse.. God is working things out. My heart will continue to cry out to God for Jenson healing..I know you don't know me ,but I love you and your family ! Please expect God to do something in Jesons life..
ReplyDeleteThanks Mozell for your encouraging words! Kristin
ReplyDeleteYour welcome Mrs Kristin! Mrs Kristian ,if there is anything that I can do to help you in anyway please contact Pastor Chris or here is my email Cierajalen68@yahoo.com..
ReplyDeletePrecious baby boy, we've been praying many times a day for a long time for Jenson, for healing and peace. We're praying for you and the whole family, that our Father would wrap you in His arms and speak peace to you. He does all things well, though it seems so hard to understand. The grief of seeing your son so sick must be devastating. Praying God gives you grace as you need it. Keep trusting His heart.
ReplyDeleteHey Kristen,
ReplyDeleteI wrote you the other day and my daughter has prayed for you before in front of the OneWay kids group. She is the one that told me about you and when I got the email about bring meals to you I jumped on board. I want you to know that we prayed for you tonight AND WILL every night and morning. Please let me know if we do anything. I am a Girl Scout leader and personally would love to extend our activities to your daughter. Please let me know if I can help in any way. We have so many Girl Scout activities coming up in March that I would love to involve your daughter in. My email is merecarol@yahoo.com. I also emailed you on facebook. If you EVER EVER EVER need blood for Jensen, I am 0- blood type and would be willing to do whatever I needed to even make a dent in his healing.
Love you, your family and Jensen!
Meredith and Candice
Hi Kristen,
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, but I feel like I know you. I am Kelly Howard's sister. I live in South Alabama, and I want you to know that my family is praying for you. I haven't been able to get you and Jenson off my mind today. I pray that God will speak peace into your soul and give you a comfort that can only come from Him. I pray that God will touch little Jenson's body and make him whole. I pray now for wisdom to be imparted into each physician and nurse. I pray that God direct every step, and send the right people into your path to help complete the healing process. I also lift up your husband and Sydney, and pray that God will give your entire family peace and rest.
With love,
Lori Diller
Meredith Smith shared your journey with me. I am sitting here listening to this powerful emotional music and reading the outpouring of raw emotion and my heart aches and the tears are falling. I have prayed several times just reading this for Jenson to be lifted up and made whole. I pray for your families strength to try and make sense of what purpose this has besides pain. God has a plan for your precious boy and I strongly believe in the power of prayer and will continue to have anyone I know lift your baby boy up in prayer. I wish peace, understanding, strength & warmth upon your family. Much love and light to your beautiful family ~ Susie & Bella Henderson
ReplyDeleteWe are so appreciative of everyone lifting us up at a time when we feel so weak. Thank you for loving our little boy and family!
ReplyDeleteKristin