Jenson is about the same as yesterday. He continues to need lots of assistance from a bunch of sophisticated ICU machines. He has tubes hanging everywhere:
- 2 tubes in his legs for Vivian to work
- 3 tubes up his nose for GI fluid removal and oxygen assistance
- 4 tubes in his chest for his lines to run all the meds and transfusions
- Tubes from the blood pressure cuff
- The catheter tube to remove urine
- The suction tube to suck out the mucositis chunks (gross!)
We had to create restraints for his arms because he kept pulling the nose tubes out (who can blame him). He keeps saying, "Help me. I done." I would be done too. I keep explaining to him all these tubes and machines are helping him get better. I hope he is young enough he won't remember all this, or he will need some serious counseling in the future.
Sweet Sydney has her post transplant follow-up appointment today. She was back at school within 3 days after the procedure.
She spent the night with her friend Ella recently. Ella and her sister noticed her band-aids on the back of her pelvic bones and asked, "What is that?".
Sydney replied matter of factly, "That's where they took my blood."
Ella and her sister asked curiously, "Did it hurt?"
"A little bit, but it is fine now," Sydney replied as if the whole thing was no bigger deal than skinning your knee on the playground.
Ella's sister said, "I like your band-aids."
"Yeah, my grandparents have good band-aids," Sydney answered.
I love how kids simplify life.
As we wait for Sydney's cells to engraft, I pray they will give Jenson the assistance he needs to have a brand new life. Sydney is Jenson's hero!
Jenson is one of the fortunate ones. Only 1/2 of people who need a bone marrow transplant to live can find a donor. There is someone waiting right now for a chance at life - hoping and praying for assistance, for their hero.
Could it be you?
In exchange for only a few days of discomfort, you could give the greatest gift of all - the gift of life (and wear cool band-aids). Be like Sydney, and give someone a second chance at life by registering today at www.marrow.org.
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago
God bless your beautiful son Jenson! Our prayers are with you from Colorado.
ReplyDeleteJackie Hodge - Grandma to an LCH warrior
My family will continue to pray for lil Jenson and the family . I Will also pray for God to lead my family to help give someone a second chance at life. Thank you for the web site.
ReplyDelete