Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Start

Isaiah 40:31
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."


The bone marrow transplant is complete!

I am still somewhat in shock as we have been hoping and praying for this day for such a long time. Finally, a dream I don't want to wake up from!


Sydney did not need a blood transfusion, so she and I arrived just as they hung the red bag of her stem cells and hooked them up to Jenson's line. It looked just like a blood transfusion (which we are all to familiar with). They had told us it would feel anti-climatic, but I felt like I could finally breathe as the cells of new life dripped into Jenson's line.

Everything went as smoothly as possible (I know, can you believe it???). Jenson did not experience a reaction of any sort to the transplant as he was getting it. The nurse told us that is very rare. Finally, odds working in our favor.


Sydney and Jenson were laying next to each other in the bed during the transplant - a fitting image of brother and sister united together through this struggle. Jenson turned to her and said, "I love you Sydney." What incredible kids!

Now we just need Sydney's cells to take over Jenson's LCH infested body which is like a termite infested home. My best friend sent me a note this morning with a chant that kept running through her head- "Go Sydney's cells! Go Sydney's cells!". Sydney and I chanted it before we headed down to the hospital. We'll be chanting it for the next few critical weeks.

The next few weeks are supposed to be really difficult on Jenson, but right now we could not be happier at hope for healing.

A nurse wrote on Jenson's sign last night:

Jenson,
I am so glad your new life is about to begin.


What a beautiful vision of the future!

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet picture! Praying for swift recovery for Sydney and God's mercy and healing on Jenson for the next few weeks. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been watching every development here in California and holding you all up in prayer. Can you feel our love? Praying for you all, lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can feel the love! Thanks everyone for all the support.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of praying in Virginia too!

    ReplyDelete