Friday, January 13, 2012

Craziness!!!

Today is Jenson's BAL procedure to look for infection in his lungs.

We head down to surgery pre-op. Of course, Jenson needs to go to the bathroom once we get there (a germophobe mom's worst nightmare on her immuno suppressed child who can't get any infections prior to transplant).

We come back from the bathroom, and the anesthesiologist is waiting for us. She grabs his port line and screws off the cap without gloves on (MAJOR NO-NO) and I say to her "You're going to clean that right?". She injects the medicine without cleaning it into his line...aka potential risk of infection.

Are you kidding me????? Even when I'm trying to be the policeman (which I shouldn't have to be) people are making mistakes.

I am fuming!!!

I choose not to freak Jenson out by yelling at her since he is heading into a procedure. We go upstairs and call the charge nurse in and tell her what happened. Our saving grace is the oncology nursing staff has been great and provided excellent care despite mistakes in other departments. She calls the hospital's version of Internal Affairs (Customer Care) who are going to investigate. They get my ENTIRE list of mistakes. This makes my earlier rant look like a whisper. He asks, "What do you need from us?". Finally, a softball question..."I need the same quality of care we are getting from the oncology nurses and Legacy location from everyone. No more mistakes".

The anesthesiologist winds up having to come up and apologize. Nice they admitted a mistake, but come on.

Jenson comes out of the procedure fine. The pulmonologist gives us his visual take -some places look fine, others places inflamed but the inflamation doesn't look visually like infection but more likely LCH. Big shock... now he has LCH of the GI tract, skin, bones, brain, liver, and likely lungs.

The visual inspection will be confirmed by the tests which will take 4-5 days (no way to put a rush on them as they are watching to see what grows out). In fact, if we get an answer earlier it is bad news as that means there is an infection. Never thought I'd want a test to come back slow.

If you hear on the news about some crazy mom at Children's Dallas, you will know who to suspect.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment