Jenson's days here on earth are numbered. He is on serious pain meds and Tylenol every 4 hours to try to control his fevers (try being the key word). His fever spiked to 104 this morning and his breathing became very short and labored.
A little oxygen and a dose of Motrin helped. His fever is now down around 100 degrees. He is resting as peacefully as I think is possible given his condition.
I am feeling down, and Sydney is the best medicine. She has a spunk and contagious laugh that can't help but lift you up. We had fun this weekend doing simple things like visiting Jenson at the hospital, eating frozen yogurt at Yogolution, and painting our toe-nails and finger-nails (with Sydney insisting she paint hers herself).
While waiting for our nails to dry, I was talking about how I sometimes feel sad that Jenson will die soon. She answered me with a simple, "But mommy, heaven is the best place you can be. And Jenson knows Jesus, so he will go to heaven."
This simple statement made me flash back to a conversation in early November. It was a Sunday. While I rarely remember details (especially now that I have what I affectionately refer to as "never-ending pregnancy brain" even though I am not pregnant), I know it was a Sunday because we were driving home from Life Fellowship. Jenson's immune system was never strong enough to be exposed to large crowds at church, so Doug and I always split up Sunday mornings. Sydney and I would go to the 10:00am service together, then Doug and Jenson would meet us in the parking lot where we would swap cars around 11:20am. Doug would head into the 11:30am service, and I would drive home in the Prius with Sydney and Jenson.
I had just pulled out from the church parking lot and onto Jupiter Road. Sydney was talking about what she learned at church when out of the blue she turned to Jenson and said, "Well you don't even know Jesus."
My normally mild-mannered boy adamantly said, "Yes I do Sydney!"
Hyper-competitive Sydney saw this as a challenge since she was 4 when she came to know Jesus. She was confident there was no way her 3 year old little brother could beat her, so she pressed on with, "No you don't, you are only three. You are too young."
Jenson stood his ground while raising his voice and fired back, "I do too know Jesus! I do!"
I turned back to look at them and said to Jenson, "I believe you Jenson." He flashed me a smile and repeated, "I do.".
I now know what a gift this was to our entire family. Jenson proclaimed his faith in a child-like manner - no frills, just simple and to the point. Just like God intended.
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago
Amen! Acknowledge that the Lord is God! He made us,and we are his. Psalm 100:3
ReplyDeleteWhat an incredibly wonderful memory you will always have of your little boy! Praying for all of you and knowing God will give you the strength that you need.
ReplyDeleteCindy T
Children seem to understand things so much better than grownups sometimes. Dana
ReplyDeletePraying for your family. Children somehow do know God. I think He makes it a point to know them. We think it's so complex and yet to children the belief in Him is very simple.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your thoughts about Jenson knowing Jesus. Little children are so tender and I do believe that they are perfect in Christ!My little boy, Benjamin also has LCH. I pray for your comfort and peace in your very difficult time! I know too that angels dwell on earth, both heavenly and earthly angels. They will be with Jenson and your family and take care of you all, I know it! God bless you. Angela Mangum, South Jordan, Utah
ReplyDelete