Thursday, March 22, 2012

New Normal


It happened...we are home!

When we are walking out of the bone marrow unit, Jenson's friends greet us with a huge sign, smiles, and cheers. What a special group of caring people!

Riding down the elevator feels similar to how you feel when leaving the hospital with your first newborn baby...excited but overwhelmed. Part of you is thinking "do they realize I'm a total rookie and don't really know what I'm doing?" while another part of you is thinking "surely I can figure this thing out".


As we drive home, Jenson calls out each time he sees something familiar, "It's McDonalds! It's McDonalds! It's McDonalds again, that is so silly."

Sydney and Grandma and Grandpa Jo greet us when we arrive home with hugs, kisses, cheers, and a Cars pinata filled with yummy candy (which is a highlight for Jenson).

Jenson is due a feed and some medicines, so Doug and I divide and conquer. I work on setting up the feeding machine, bags, formula/protein mixture (with help from my little helper Sydney) and Doug organizes the medicine. These tasks sound simple, but getting ready 34 syringes of medicine and getting all the feeding stuff set up takes a couple hours.

Jenson is happy to be home! And Sydney is happy to be home too! It's a homecoming for our entire family. It feels good to all be back together and sleep under one roof.

This morning brings more "newborn like" experiences as Doug gives the morning meds, and I do the sterile flush/heparin lock on his 3 lines. At 9:30am, I finally sit down to eat something in my pjs (of course without a shower) and think "where did the morning go?"

Things will get easier as we settle into our new normal.

Kristin

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad for you all that Jenson is home! We will continue to pray for complete healing and that +60 brings 100% results.

    Carrie Doane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet farewell from Jenson's friends :) He is so loved. Praying that you will quickly adapt to the new routines, for God's protection over all of you, and full healing. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME!!! I'm so happy for you. Makes me tear up! What a long haul to this point. Don't know either how you have done it except that smiling face on Jensen and Sydney is all the incentive you need!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited for you I forgot to add that this comment that includes AWESOME was from Rae Heath :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can barely type I am crying tears of joy!!!!! So happy for you!!!

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pathetic am I that I usually do not sit down for breakfast nor am showered before 4 on my days at home... I'm doing nothing compared to all of you. xoxoxo M

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful news!!! So very happy that you are all together! Will continue praying for good numbers!! Please text or call if you need anything--- we are right around the corner and would love to help! Kelly Howard

    ReplyDelete