Today should have been my first day alone to process everything that has happened with Jenson (should have being the key words). Instead, I had to spend it at the DMV and the courthouse to make sure they didn't issue a warrant for my arrest.
It goes back to Tuesday April 17 - about a week after Jenson's first stroke. Jenson had been moved from the ICU back to the Bone Marrow floor. Doug had been on me to finally get my Texas driver's license, "Knock it out babe. There is never going to be a good time." True, after over a year he was right - there was never going to be a good time. So even though I hate going to the DMV because it is a giant symbol of inefficiency (one of my biggest pet peeves), I relunctantly agreed to brave the lines.
I looked up the closest location and with my iPhone pulled up the map and headed that way in the silver Prius. I took a highway which turns into a four lane road with stoplights as you get closer to the downtown area. I stopped at a light two blocks from the DMV. In my rear view mirror, I noticed a police car and thought "Glad I have my front license plate" (for those new to the blog I got a ticket from a crazy cop on January 1 for not having a front license plate and also got a warning for not having my Texas driver's license).
As the light turned green, I started through the light and saw red and blue lights flashing behind me. Really, what are the odds of finally going to get my Texas license, being two blocks from the DMV, and getting pulled over by a cop?
A police officer in his 30's with brown hair walked over and politely asked me, "Ma'am do you know why I pulled you over?". Truly having no clue I responded with "No".
"You were doing 47 mph in a 35 mph zone. Is there a reason you are in such a hurry?" he asked.
"I am actually on my way to the DMV to get my Texas license and don't normally take this path so didn't even realize I was speeding," I replied with a truthful statement. I could feel the next question coming about why I didn't have my Texas license.
"How long have you lived in Texas?" was his next question. I responded with an honest, "A while but my son has been really sick and is in the hospital downtown so I haven't had a chance."
He took my California license back to the car. I am thinking "I can't believe I have gone for over a year without getting my Texas license and am going to get a ticket on my way to get it". He came back to the car and said, "Ma'am you were going too fast for me to give you a warning, so I have to issue you a speeding ticket. Make sure to get your license today. Be safe."
I drove the 2 blocks to the DMV. It was so packed there wasn't even a place to park. The line was stretched out the door, down the sidewalk, and around the building. This line would have taken me 3-4 hours and with Jenson in the hospital I aborted the mission. I promised myself I would go back the next morning and get there before they open at 8am.
I arrived at 7:47am with my valid California license, passport, marriage certificate, proof of insurance, and address verification to another massive line. At 9:15am, I reached the first check in point (prior to the next hour + of waiting). The lady said, "Can I see your valid driver's license and social security card?". You must have your social security card she assured me before proceeding. Strike two for my driver's license attempt.
I headed to the hospital and thought to myself "I have now invested over 2 hours of time and have nothing to show for it but a speeding ticket." Later that afternoon Jenson had his second stroke, so of course my expedition to the DMV took a backseat.
Last Thursday May 16, I said to Doug, "Have you seen my speeding ticket?". He hadn't seen it and I had absolutely no idea where I put it. That afternoon a letter arrives in the mail from the Municipal Court...When you signed the citation, you signed a written promise that you would appear at the Municipal Court within 20 business days of the date of the citation. Court records show that you have not appeared within the 20 days required. You must appear within 7 days of this letter. If you do not appear within 7 days, the municipal court will issue a warrant for your arrest.
All I want is some space to grieve the loss of my boy, but instead I get to spend today getting my valid Texas license and going to the courthouse to avoid a warrant for my arrest.
After two and a half hours at the DMV, I was the proud recipient of a Texas driver's license. The courthouse was my second stop today where I got to pay $215.00 and was granted "Deferred Disposition Probation" meaning if I don't get a ticket from now until August 19, 2012 my ticket will not go on my record.
So, I will spend the next 3 months with my hands on the steering wheel in the 10 and 2 position and driving in the slow lane like a typical Prius driver. No warrant will be issued unless I forget to send in the court document after August 19 verifying I didn't violate my probation. Reminder please?
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago
Thought I would remind you about this post, don't forget to send in your document so you don't get that warrant...LOL.
ReplyDeleteI was reading the blog after not doing so for a while. I hope you and your family are doing well.
I still think about you all, and have this blog bookmarked for future reads.
God Bless you and yours.
Brandy Powell
queenb@juggalofaith.com