Yesterday was a day we will never forget.
Sydney came down to the hospital with me. Her concussion symptoms seem to be improving and no new strange tremors have appeared, but she needed another day to recover. We had talked in the morning about how we needed to postpone her birthday sleepover party to "keep her body safe"... no running, jumping, dancing, or being crazy. She took the news surprisingly well, but definitely had birthday on the brain.
My friend Lyne' and the Nurses helped keep her busy with art projects. She declared a few days ago she was going to "cover Jenson's room in art". Mission accomplished.
I prayed one of my only prayers of the day, "God not that I feel like you are listening to any of my prayers right now, but I pray Jenson will not pass tomorrow (Wednesday) on Sydney's birthday or on any other family members birthday." This is a big birthday week for us - my dad's birthday Monday, Sydney's Wednesday, my mom's Thursday, and my sister-in-laws on Friday.
My sweet boy continued snuggling with his mommy all day. It felt good
to rest my face on his warm head and hold his hand. He seemed more at
peace but didn't open his eyes like the day before. I made sure to remind him when Jesus comes for him it is okay to
go, and that Grandpa Aaron (Doug's dad that died when Doug was 1) would
be waiting to greet him.
Late in the afternoon, his breathing pattern changed and I knew it was coming soon. Sydney had sat down to snack on some Fritos next to Lyne' while Nurse Ryann changed an unexpected diaper for Jenson.
I looked at Jenson as he stopped breathing for several seconds. He then opened his eyes and looked towards Sydney. I said, "Sydney, I think he wants you to get in bed and snuggle with him." She replied back, "Can I eat my Fritos first?". I quickly said, "No, you need to get in bed now." She climbed into his bed and grabbed his hand.
I then grabbed the book "Heaven is For Real (for kids)" which Jenson received from LCH Warrior Trip. I sat on the other side of his bed holding his hand while I read the book to him. I was holding back my emotions on each page as Jenson peacefully did his best to take a few more breaths.
I read aloud, "One of the most wonderful things about heaven is that no one ever gets sick or hurt there". I couldn't hold the tears back anymore as I put my head down on his bed. He then took his final breaths and went to be with Jesus in heaven.
Nurse Ryann finished reading the book as Sydney and I sat each holding one of Jenson's hands.
Jenson died and went to heaven.
Lyne' took Sydney to find some fun things to do outside the room. Doug arrived at the hospital with his best friend Geronimo and wept as he hugged his departed boy. Grandparents and Uncle Brent arrived and also said a final good-bye.
Our pastor Chris and his wife Tatum got to the hospital just as Jenson's grandparents were leaving. Tatum sat next to me on the couch in Jenson's room as I told her what happened. I flipped to the page of "Heaven is for Real (for kids)" and showed her exactly what I was reading when he passed. I then looked down at the picture for the first time.
The illustration captures an image of a little blond boy in heaven dressed in white wearing a red sash. It looks just like Jenson used to look with hair. He is holding the hand of a grown man. When I looked up at the man, I noticed something astonishing...the man looks just like Doug's departed Dad (down to the ears that stick out).
I sat there in awe looking at an image of my little boy in heaven holding the hand of his Grandpa Aaron. When I showed the picture to Doug, the first thing he said was, "That man looks like my Dad".
God gave us a gift in our pain of a visual image of our little boy in heaven. I will forever treasure it.
The funeral to honor Jenson's amazing life will be sometime on Monday.
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago


You and your entire family are such an inspiration. It's amazing to me that you can take the time and energy to post this in the middle of what you're going through. We're very sorry for your loss. But as one of my Christian co-workers who has been agreeing in prayer this whole time said last night, "I know Jenson is sitting on Jesus' lap right now smiling and laughing." Thank you, again, for always sharing.
ReplyDeleteKristin, Doug, and Syndey:
ReplyDeleteI am so very saddened to hear of sweet Jenson's passing. It was an honor to be able to be part of the team that took care of him at Legacy. The bright spot of my days were always going into his room to help his nurses and seeing his beautiful smile-it literally lit up the room. Helping him gather his "bunny friends" on the couch so I could change his bed-those moments when he would tell me about his movie (sleeping beauty) and show me all his "friends" he would collect in his bed around him... He was a very special little boy, and I will miss him terribly. I appreciate you being willing to share your journey on this blog so we could follow along and pray for ya'll even when he wasn't at our campus. My prayers and thoughts are with you all during these days ahead.
Love and Prayers,
Kimmie Akers
Legacy Campus
I have been praying for your sweet little boy, and will continue to pray for you and your family. Jenson doesn't need our prayers anymore! He is at Jesus' feet! Sending love and prayers your way...
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine, who also lost her son to HLH in 2010, passed along your story. I have read every entry for the passed couple weeks, and have been praying daily for some sort of miracle for your family. My heart breaks for you, and am in such admiration of how gracefully you have shared this journey. Jenson is not at peace...no pain, no suffering. He has been granted the gift of something he had been robbed of here on earth...being a child. Much Love, Thoughts, and Prayers are sent to you as you remember your beautiful ANGEL.
ReplyDeleteI have been following your blog for quite awhile, Kristin. You will all be in my thoughts. Jenson is a remarkable boy.
ReplyDeleteAaron family -
ReplyDeleteCarrie and I are saddened by the news. I am glad she was able to come and visit with you a few days ago. She is also going to get in touch with you about the service. We continue to pray for you, Doug, and Sydney.
Phil
Much love to you all. You have blessed me through sharing your journey - Jenson's Journey. May God our Loving Father be your Comfort now as you adjust and move on.
ReplyDelete"The Lord gave" -- he gave you a wonderful, special son. "The Lord has taken away" -- How wonderful to know where Jenson is -- with Jesus; that he is now free to run and jump and play without pain. (And I'm sure his special smile has not changed...!) "Blessed be the Name of the Lord" -- He is Faithful and True, catches every tear in a bottle (with your name on it), is right there with you through each moment, carrying you even now.
With much love & continued prayer,
Cheryl Jore
PS I'm praying especially for Sydney now, that she will realize that this is not her fault -- her cells couldn't overcome the meningitis, but that isn't due to her own weakness. May she truly trust Father's wisdom and love, and experience His loving care through this time.
If heaven could have possibly gotten more beauiful, it did when Jenson came "HOME". As tears pour down my face, I am praying, for your family..
ReplyDeleteYou have been in my prayers and I am saying new prayers now. Prayers for strength, for guidance and healing. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteShannon Yates
Good bye Jenson, I wish you well on the next chapter of your journey. Peace be with you.
ReplyDeleteMy family has been following your blog & praying for your family. My 16 year old son will ask how Jenson is & we'd look for your updates. Jenson has truly been an inspiration to us. Your family is in our thoughts & prayers. Our 3 teenagers cried today because although we have not personally met your family we hurt for you. Thank you for sharing Jenson. We pray love & comfort into your lives.
ReplyDeleteI wept this morning for Jenson and your family. Even though I have never met you or your family, you have truly been an inspiration for me. I have never truly devoted myself to Him but you have opened my eyes to the mysterious, compassionate and loving way the way He works. A part of my heart has broken off to be with Jenson in Heaven. I will never forget your family's story. It is forever embedded in my heart.
ReplyDeletePraying for your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI am a new follower to your blog (through Love Bomb) and I just want to say how very, very sorry I am for your loss. My heart breaks for your family.
ReplyDeleteI greatly admire the way you have handled all of this with your daughter.
I promise to pray for you all for years to come--that you will be able to live joyfully despite the heartache. So glad Syndey is doing better and was able to be with Jenson yesterday. Love to your family. Charlotte
ReplyDeleteDear family, I am glad that our heavenly Father sent you a visual reminder of how Jenson met his grandpop in heaven! What comfort it must be in this painful period.
ReplyDeleteI pray that God's grace and peace will continue to fill your hearts in this time of loss.
You are not alone. There is a community out there who loves and is praying earnestly for each of you.
Thank you for sharing the beautiful story of your baby boy. He has inspired me to live each day to the fullest. I will forever be thankful for little Jenson, and for your courage to share openly with us.
With love,
Gloria
Words cannot express my sympathies and sorrow for your family during this heartfelt time. However, I promise my prayers will be loud and many for you all. HEAVEN IS SO REAL & SO CLOSE! Mary Anne F. (friend of Linda R.)
ReplyDeleteSydney will remember that day forever. Jenson is at peace now. You will see him again and you will be able to hold him. Your little boy is in good hands. The BEST hands.
ReplyDeleteGod loves you and knows you and Doug will be angry, sad, and a whole host of other emotions. He is a big God and can handle it.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. My heart is broken for you all, and i wish I knew what to say. going through it myself, i still have no clue what to say. *biggest hug in the world*
ReplyDeleteKristin,Doug and Sydney, we are praying for you and we love you all very much. We are here for you and and you will be in our prayers in the hard days, months and years to come.
ReplyDeleteThe Taylors
Aaron Family;
ReplyDeleteHere is a response from a Sunday School class member when we sent the news of Jenson:
Thank you, Phil and Carrie, for sharing this family with us. The boys and I have been reading the posts and praying for them daily. Our whole family has been touched by that family's journey. My heart breaks for them, but rejoices for dear Jenson. Again, thank you for sharing them with us.
As a family and a class we will continue to pray for you for the coming days.
Oh dear girl. I am so sorry sweet Jenson has gone to heaven. At least he is at peace and painless with his big smile. May all 3 of you know you have done everything possible to bring joy and healing for him here on earth.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your jouney each day. Your strength and emotion has been unbelieveable to read. May God bless you all.
Kate
Kristin, I have kept up with you for exactly 2 weeks thanks to my mom (JoAnn Morrow) giving me this link. I am so sorry for the difficult journey Jenson and your family had to travel, but God will continue to take care of you all. I wish your family peace during this time, and always. Your relentless faith in God's mercy and complassion is a true encouragement to many others and I pray God can continue to give you strength and support to share your divine experiences with others. You are a blessing. Love and grace to you and yours, Karen
ReplyDeleteOur hearts cry out for all of you. What a painful journey, what a beautiful little boy. I thank God for answering your prayer around timing and for showing His faithfulness to you through the drawing in the book. He did the same for me when my dad passed 4 months ago, as I was reading to him from 2 Cor. 4:16-18: "therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day...So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." All our love to you, Kathy, Kevin, Connor & Ainsley
ReplyDeleteDear Kristen, Doug, and Sydney, I am so sorry for your loss and am crying my own tears as I even imagine the pain that you are experiencing. I am so thankful that Jenson is no longer in pain, but my heart aches with the weight that things are not the way that they should be. You all are in my constant thoughts as I wish for comfort, love, and peace.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story. Jenson has made me a stronger person and you Kristen have made me a more patient and loving mother. My daughter and I (Candice) follow your blog and cried together when we read but walked away from the computer with smiles knowing sweet Jenson is with God. Thank you for sharing your story and Jenson with us.
ReplyDeleteMeredith
Despite his way too short life, Jenson has left an incredible legacy - more than many do in a lifetime. His/your story story has made me a better mother too - and I owe that all to Jenson and you Kristen. And despite the sadness and anger I feel, he gave me too a little more understanding of God. Jenson has touched so many people and will never ever be forgotten. I am so sorry for your loss and pain. I pray as hard as I can that you all can get through this. I know that he is happy and smiling now and that makes me smile. I also know that you three will be reunited with him someday!
ReplyDeleteRest in peace you sweet boy. You are so loved. I am so glad to have been able to share your brave battle. My thoughts are with your mommy and daddy and sister as they celebrate your life here on earth.
ReplyDeleteKim Leonard
I am so sorry for your loss but on the other hand, overjoyed that jenson is no longer in pain and all of those wonderful memories you have of him (big smile, playful spirit, love of goldfish, etc) he is doing right now! You don't know me (I think we have a mutual friend in CA, even though I live in Dallas) but I'm so glad I found your blog. I've loved seeing your raw emotion and I've been praying for you and your family with each post you write. I'm so thankful the Lord answered your prayer surrounding the timing of his passing and the reminder from the book that's He's taking care of Jenson. Thank you for sharing Jenson's precious story!
ReplyDeleteI saw the resemblance to Waldo also, even from the small scan. What a special comfort the Lord has given you. I'm sure the two of them are having a good time together.
ReplyDeleteLove and prayers,
Kathie Dooley
I am so sorry for your loss. Fly free,sweet Jensen, fly free!
ReplyDeleteGwen Haag
Fairport, New York
My heart is broken. I am grieving like I lost a family member. I have followed Jenson's story daily, he touched my life in a way I cannot describe. I am praying for peace and strength during this time for your family. He is with his eternal family, he is no longer in pain.. I bet he is running around laughing with all his new friends.. that is if God isn't smothering him with hugs and kisses!! Jenson would not want you to mourn his death but to celebrate his life. Please Stay in touch with all of us by continuing to post! God Bless!!! <3 Melody
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I wish there was more I could say.
ReplyDeleteI wish there was something I could say to heal your hearts - I know Jensen will be missed so much, but I'm so glad he has no more pain.
ReplyDeleteThere is a site I love, which is dedicated to our sweet angels, where you can have your childs name written in the sand - its so beautiful, and such a touching tribute to the beauty and joy that each child was: http://namesinthesand.blogspot.ca/
And my favourite quote from Carly Marie is "At the end of the day, all the children of heaven come together to paint the colours of the sunset" -- I know that your precious angel is there too, makings the sky the most radiant of colours, and having his love shine through its beauty
XOXO
Julie
British Columbia, Canada
My son, Samuel, passed away from LCH in Sept. 2007. Know that you are not alone and if you need to talk, you can email me at lmbrown357@aol.com. My heart aches....
ReplyDeleteKim and Kaitlin shared sweet Jensens story with me. I am so sorry for your loss, Jensen was a very beautiful little boy.
ReplyDeleteSo thankful for the amazing picture God gave you in that book. My prayers will be with you and your family.
Megan Perry ( va beach)
Dear Doug, Kristin, and Sydney,
ReplyDeleteOur heartfelt condolences. RJ and I will continue to hold you in prayer.
-Kelly
Kristin, Doug and Sydney,
ReplyDeleteHow truly blessed Jenson was to share his short life with such a beautiful and strong family! Jenson's journey has been a very moving and inspirational one for me. I have prayed for you daily and most times multiple times a day and I will continue to lift you up as you walk through this next chapter. I am joyful through my tears in knowing that Jenson has been healed and has moved to his eternal home! I look forward to the day I get the pleasure of meeting him in heaven!
Toni Lowrie ( friend of Lindbergs)
I don't even know where to begin. Patti emailed me last night after Andy got home to let me know of Jenson's passing. I have been full of tears since. A friend went to her church group tonight and offered her rosary for your sweet son and your family. I read your post to another friend today and she listened through her tears. Other friends who I have asked to pray have been in touch with me, sharing their heartbreak and love for you.
ReplyDeleteKristin, you and your family have shared the most intimate, painful part of your life with so many of us, both friends and strangers alike. Sharing Jenson with all of us has impacted so many hearts and lives - many you will never even know about! The Lord sends us all on Earth with a purpose, and the purpose your family has shared with us has brought many closer to Him and one another. Thank you for your openness and sharing Jenson with us. That must have been difficult because it would've been so much easier to keep him all to yourself. However, we know that we all belong to Christ rather than one another.
While you have been slowly grieving during this journey, that does not diminish the immense pain and loss you feel now. Grief is a strange thing because it will sneak up on you and try to rip into your heart some more without you even knowing it's on the way. Take the time you need to grieve ---- be sad and mad, feel cheated and blessed, praise Him and even question Him. Feel it all because that is the only way to keep going. God will answer you. Just know as you try to go forward into each day that Jenson is loved and remembered by many, and the impact such a little boy and his family have made is far-reaching.
My love and prayers continue for you all.
Dear Kristin, Doug and Sydney,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. Jenson was lucky to have such a sweet story being read to him in his final moments. I wish there were more words to bring you comfort. Sending you good vibes and wishes of peace and love. Take care!
Kristin, Doug and Sydney-
ReplyDeleteWe are heartbroken for your family on the loss of sweet Jenson. Tears have been flowing all day for your family. So thankful that your prayer this week for timing was answered and that he is finally free of pain.
We have been praying that if he had to leave this earth that he would be welcomed by all our loved ones that are already in heaven. As I read your post today I imagined all your prayer warrior loved ones there to welcome him with open arms. I am sure my Granny gave him candy (she always had candy.) He is not alone and he is very loved.
Continued prayers and love for your family.
The Schultz Family
We are so very sorry for your earthly loss. You will be with Jenson again, but right now your heart is breaking. You all are in our prayers. Neal & Jane (friends of Grandma Edna)
ReplyDeleteMay peace be with your family at this very difficult time.
ReplyDeleteJenson is a courageous boy. My heart goes out to your family. Keeping your family in my prayers. Stay strong for Sydney.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. I know you are angery at God, As I would be also in your situation. But Gods healing is complete!! His perfect healing. I know this is comforting for Jenson and gives you a peace of mind for your son. His pain is no more and his joy is great!! Your pain is much and I pray for you and your family. And I pray for God to reach out to you and physically hold you in your time of greif. I think the picture is only the begining. Because you trust Him. Even if your are mad at Him
ReplyDelete.
I am so sorry about the passing of your sweet, precious Jenson. What a gift to have seen that picture right after he passed. Praying it gives you comfort knowing Jenson is being taken care of until you are reunited.
ReplyDeleteWe are so sorry for your loss and are praying for you and your family during this time. I cannot imagine how you feel because I have not been through this, but know that God loves you and is taking amazing care of Jenson and of you all.
ReplyDeleteI found your blog on my cousins Facebook and have continued to pray for peace for you, your husband, and your beautiful daughter. Your beautiful Jenson now wears the crown of righteousness. Judging from all of the comments his short life blessed and inspired so many around him. Although your sweet boy's journey here on Earth was short it shall last forever with The Lord. I will continue to pray for healing and strength for your family.
ReplyDeleteI know that there are no words that can possibly make you feel better during this time but am praying for your family every time I think of you -- which is so often. I have prayed for peace and healing for Jenson and will continue to pray for you and Doug, that you can keep breathing for Sydney. Your strength is such an inspiration and your story is one I will never forget! Thank you for sharing your beautiful boy and his journey with a stranger. It has reminded me each day how precious every moment really is. Kristy
ReplyDeleteI'm just bawling. I cannot imagine the sadness you feel for your sweet Jenson. There are just no words.... :(
ReplyDeleteKristin, I haven't read your blog for a long time. My heart hurts so bad for you. But wow, that little boy's so lucky to have you as his mom. Your writing is so beautiful. That picture is wonderful. So glad Sydney is doing better. Sandy Fieni
ReplyDeleteI do not have the words to express the love and sorrow we have for you during this incredibly difficult time. We have prayed for your family throughout and feel the loss of Jenson very personally. Thank you so much for sharing Jenson with all of us. He has, and will continue to touch us in ways I never could have imagined. We love you and are continuing to pray that you will find peace and strength in your heart.
ReplyDeleteFred, Chryssa, Nick, Joe, Hailey and John
Kristin- I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Jenson. I'm part of the Love Bomb team that dropped in on your blog a couple weeks ago. Jenson touched my heart in a special way with his courage and strength- and who could forget those expressive blue eyes! You are an amazing mom; your family is inspiring. I know Jenson will be looking down on you and will be with you through this very difficult time. I can't imagine the pain you must be enduring. I pray that you find the strength to continue on as before. Love, prayers, and hope sent you way.
ReplyDeletePrayers for you and your family. I have loved getting to know Jenson through this blog. So very, very sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteDear boy.
ReplyDeletehugs from Ohio. so so sorry.
ReplyDeleteSo very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you all.
ReplyDeleteMy condolences on your loss. What an amazing way for him to be surrounded by love, and for you to say a wonderful goodbye.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you lost such a wonderful child. He is in the arms of Jesus now, and while that gives comfort, it doesn't take away all the pain of his not being here.
ReplyDeleteI've just spent the last hour reading your blog and crying with you. There is some pain that everyone can identify with.
Know that your family is thought of and loved by so many...rely on them to help you through.
There aren't words today, nothing fancy, just more tears shed, another heart broken, and all the hope and strength I can muster, being sent your way. Love from one stranger to another, knowing we'll meet someday up there...because it is indefinitely real. <3
ReplyDelete