Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

Today is my first day to take time to reflect.  The first thing that hit me is how many people supported us through this journey.  We have much to be thankful for:

- Our loving parents for lifting us up despite their own grief
- Extended family for loving and caring for us
- Generous donations for Histio research to www.histio.org
- Life Fellowship for amazing acts of service
- Kind hearts praying for a family they haven't met
- Unexpected cards, letters, and gifts when our spirits needed lifting
- Compassion care from the entire Oncology and Bone Marrow team
- Meals and homemade soup to eat
- Calls and e-mails to let us know we are loved and not alone
- Encouraging comments on the blog
- Balloons and thoughtful gifts for Jenson and Sydney
- Support for Sydney making sure she knows she is special too
- "Nurse friends" who would visit Jenson just because they love him
-  The "Love Bomb" team for "dropping a love bomb"
- Starbucks and other gift cards to help ease the stress
- Other Histio families for sharing in our struggles and pain
- People who we haven't met crying with us
- Friends picking up groceries
- A beautiful funeral service to honor Jenson
- Offers of future help (which we are going to need!)
- Flowers to brighten the day
- Friends and family taking time to celebrate Jenson's life
- Monkey donations for "Monkey Grins"
- Many other thoughtful actions

This is a time in life where if you look you can see much goodness in others. 

Thank you for sharing your goodness.




3 comments:

  1. I have so much to be thankful for thanks to you and your family. Like so many parents I got caught up in the daily grid and took everything I am blessed with for granted. I am thankful you shared your Journey with us. It truely changed my life. It has made me a better mother, more patient and thankful for all I have been blessed with. On Mother's Day we woke up from our Overnight Zoo event at the Dallas Zoo(which was a blast!). I woke up next to my daughter, to the sound of a waterfall and elephants playing. It was beautiful. I thought about you and what Mother's Day was going to mean to you and said a prayer for you. We walked around for a while and my daughter asked if we could go into the gift shop. I said yes, which I would have not EVER done before but since your blog I realize I can't take money with me if I pass and I would rather see the smile on her face. We looked around a bit and turned a corner, there in a bucket was one mini sock money that you clip onto a backpack or purse but itself. I instantly snatched it up and held back the tears. That monkey will remain on my purse or any purse I carry as a lovely reminder. Thank you for showing me how to live life.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU for sharing Jenson and your family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Father to a young boy, with another on the way soon. I have followed your blog for several months now and I have experienced such a wide range of emotions. Recently I have had to take time to really breathe and regain my composure as I sit here in my office in Downtown Dallas. I keep waiting for someone to pop into my office and see my face and then ask what's wrong. Even though I have never met your family, I would feel completely OK letting them know that a young child I 'knew' just passed away.

    I grieve for you and your family. Much like you, I try to remind myself that little Jenson is pain free and in a MUCH better place than we are. And he is. But my thoughts always turn my son and how angry I would be with the Lord if He took him away from me; all while still clinging to Him for support. And I know that the Lord understands this anger. And I know that He just wants to pour out His peace, and comfort, and joy into your heart. And He will. And there is purpose in all of this, even if we never get to understand it until we are in heaven one day.

    My family...we serve the Lord...but your blog (which is an outpouring of your courage) has still reminded me of the love God has for all of us. And how precious a gift this life, and all that comes with it, is. Every moment I breathe I want to feel the burden of the gratefulness I should feel. And out of that burden I want to serve Jesus and show His love to every person I encounter.

    Jenson's purpose is much bigger than this...but his story is a reminder, and inspiration, for me to run to God's side and allow His love to overflow from my heart into the world around me. Jenson's journey through this life, and onto the next, helps me be a better father, a better husband, and a better child (to God).

    I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't want to be the weird stranger who just showed up at your hospital room...mainly because I didn't want to steal time away from you and your family. But please know I was there in spirit and that I continue to pray for you and your family. I don't understand any of this. I just remind myself that we can trust the wounds of a friend, and that God has a purpose. That doesn't really help, I know. But, please know that there are more strangers out there lifting your up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete