Sydney is still having some symptoms from her concussion, especially nausea that comes and goes. Since sometimes she feels fine, she forgets anything is wrong with her. It is beyond hard to get her to lay down and rest.
She stayed with my parents last night. When I arrive to pick her up this morning, she runs to the door to greet me with a big hug. I say,"Hi Syd! Great to see you but remember no running or I am going to have to wrap you in bubble wrap and make you wear your bike helmet." She looks at me with a smirk and says, "Nooo mommy," and smiles. We laugh together.
We start driving down towards the hospital. I decide to drive by the funeral home so she doesn't get surprised by anything she may hear us talking about. She asks me to park so she can walk around and see. She asks questions like, "How do they bury people? What are they buried in? What is that (pointing to a tombstone)?". In between questions, we see a white butterfly which she follows around. Kids always want to play.
We get back in the car and keep driving towards the hospital. Sydney says, "Mommy, I hope I die before you because if you die first then I wouldn't have a mommy."
It is amazing how much kids can process at such a young age.
Later she says, "Mommy, are you really going to make me wear
my bike helmet and bubble wrap because I would look really weird. I
would be the only kid at school in a helmet. And I am definitely NOT playing soccer in a helmet."
We are at the hospital now having "movie day" - my ploy to get her to lay down and rest. She is snuggling in bed with Jenson. She tells me, "Mommy, Jenson is breathing hard." I explain to her that is what happens as you get closer to death.
Conversations you never imagine having with a five year old...
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago

Check out the comments on your April 27th post! (You've been Love Bombed.) <3
ReplyDeleteThese posts make my heart hurt. But they make me smile a little bit too, because you're handling this so well. I don't know exactly how you're making it through each day, but you are.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you all.
Holding you all in prayer. Charlotte
ReplyDeleteHolding you all in prayer. Mo
ReplyDeleteChildren have this amazing way of bringing light on everything they talk about. They are so literal and so thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteJenn
I don't know you personally, but I have been following your blog. My heart is breaking for you, and the tears flow from my eyes. I am storming heaven with prayer for your entire family.
ReplyDelete