Thursday, May 10, 2012

Celebrating Sydney

While our hearts are so heavy from Jenson's passing, yesterday was a day to celebrate Sydney.

You know how some people starting looking forward to their birthday the day after it happens?  Sydney is one of those people.  She LOVES celebrations - especially her birthday.

We were planning originally to take a red velvet cake down to Jenson's hospital room, but that obviously changed Tuesday evening.  Now despite uncontrollable emotional moments that are bound to sneak up on us all day, we need to throw together a small celebration at our house for Sydney.  We keep reminding ourselves it is a day to celebrate Sydney's life.

Sydney really wants to go to school because, "It is really fun on your birthday because you get to wear a badge and sticker and everyone sings Happy Birthday to you and stuff."  So I drop her off in the morning.

Doug and I meet her for lunch at school with one of her favorite foods - Chick-Fil-A nuggets.  Her teacher Mrs Nelson gives me a big hug in the school cafeteria.  She is another person who has been so caring and compassionate through this experience doing whatever she can to help Sydney thrive.

I arrive at school at 2:30 to get Sydney because we have a special "girls" afternoon planned...and I do mean special.  Several months ago Sydney had asked me when she could get her ears pierced. Originally I wanted her to wait until she was 11 but I recently had a change of heart. I told her then, "If you are old enough to give your bone marrow to your brother you are old enough to get your ears pierced.  Just let me know when."  She decides she wanted to do it on her 6th birthday.

We head off to "Sweet & Sassy" - a little girl's dreamland filled with lots of pink, glitter, sparkles, hairstylists, ear piercings, hair bows, and nail treatments.  I wish I had come up with this goldmine.

She picks her earrings.. faux diamond flowers.  She sits bravely in the large, plush, purple and pink "Princess Throne" as two ear piercers line up (one for each ear) and pull the trigger.  There are no tears or even glassy covered eyes.  I say, "Good job Sydney.  Did it hurt?".  Her reply, "Yes" as she quickly forgets about the pain and asks if she can get her hair done.  Why not?  You only live one as we have learned and life is about living in the moment.

As she is getting her hair done, she sees a "birthday monkey" on the strategically placed display unit and asks "Mommy, can I please get it?".  I say yes since I know she is thinking of her sweet brother.

We leave the store and get in the Prius.  As she is fastening her seat belt she says, "Best day EVER!".

We arrive home to cake, candles, chocolate covered strawberries, balloons, plates, napkins, and festive decorations thanks to my friends Melissa, Lyne', and Liz.

Sydney, Doug, and I decide to "send several balloons up to heaven for Jenson" - a gesture to let him know he is still part of our celebration and will always be part of our family.

We have family and a couple of her friends over for pizza and cake.  The kids have fun playing board games and dress up.  I am reminded how kids enjoy the simple things in life.

She opens a few gifts and then asks if she can open her gift from Jenson.  It is a sterling silver bracelet with two charms - one Sydney's birthstone and the other Jenson's birthstone.  She hasn't taken it off.

Happy 6th Birthday to Sydney!

Kristin

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Your Sweet Girl Kris!
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday precious Sydney! Love the new earings and elegant up-do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, sweet Syndey! Thank you, Mommy, for making your girl feel so special! Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad Syndey had such a wonderful time celebrating her birthday!

    And it just struck me--yesterday was Jenson's best day ever too! Love to you all. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Sydney! It sounds like it was a wonderful day. Kristin, you are an amazing woman and a wonderful mother!
    Prayers still for all of you but I know this was a bright spot in a devastating week.
    Cindy Terrel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Sydney!! You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Sydney!!! The girls love your earrings and hair, you are as beautiful inside as you are outside!!
    The Taylors

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Sydney love Meredith and all the Bellers.

    ReplyDelete