Friday, April 15, 2011

Not the answer we were hoping for

Well, we have an answer on the test results but it's not the answer we were hoping for. We got the port infection answer.

His blood culture tested positive and we got the call on our way back from our GI follow-up appointment this morning. So, we were admitted to the hospital again. We are VERY thankful our doctor yesterday was suspicious of this and wanted to do the preventative antibiotic to prevent "septic shock". It's definitely a bacterial infection and they are concerned it's a staf infection (not good), so he'll be getting pumped full of antibiotics thru his port for a while. Best case is 3 days (and that would be if the results came back as a false positive... the chances of that are very minimal - I'd guess less than 1% chance- because he's had the low grade fever and it spiked even higher after first port was accessed yesterday). Worst case, 7-10 days in the hospital and many more blood cultures and antiobiotics until it's gone.

He may also still have c-diff, and if so the antibiotics for the bacterial infection will likely make that worse. We're praying the c-diff is now gone, but will know sometime in the next few days.

We still can't believe all this has happened to poor little Jenson. He definitely deserves some mercy.

I did get a "God wink" last night through Sydney. I was putting her to bed, and we always sing a song together. Last night though Syd didn't want the normal songs we sing. She said, "Mommy, I want that one song I love that's on my cd". She went to her "Hello Kitty" cd player and found the song she was looking for and got back into her bed and snuggled next to me. Sydney is also a "human radio" like her mommy so knows all the words to most songs. She has the sweetest, angelic little voice that is perfectly on pitch.

The song she picked is called "Desert Song" and was a song we first got and listened to as a family when Jenson first started chemo so has special meaning to us and helped encourage us through that difficult time. Here are the lyrics we sang together:

"This is my prayer in the desert
When all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in the hunger and need
My God is the God who provides"

"And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames"

"And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon forged against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here"

"And this is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on it's way
I have a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand"

"All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship"

"This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've recieved I will sow"

I guess God knew how bad I'd need the truth of this song today when we got this round of news. Thank you Sydney and thanks God for giving us faith and hope to continue persevering.

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this is your second "God wink." This morning I read this scripture. I thought of it as I read your post -
    Yet is was I who taught Ephraim to walk, who took them in my arms; I drew them with human cords, with bands of love; I fostered them like the one who raises an infant to his cheeks; Yet, thought I stooped to feed my child, they did not know that I was their healer. Hosea 11:3&4

    I like this scripture because it shows God expressing his tender love, and reminds me that yes, He alone is our Healer.

    My God's healing be with your Jenson tonight. I am praying.

    ReplyDelete