Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Sister's Love

Sydney’s teachers describe her as “a strong girl”. We have never needed her strength so badly! How do you tell a 5 year old she will be giving her bone marrow to her brother and after that won’t see her family for months? I have been doing some serious praying for wisdom.

While eating dinner at Jack-in-the-Box on Monday, I talk to her about it…random location but the moment was right.

Sydney is dipping her curly fries in a mound of ketchup. I say “Syd, remember how they took blood at the hospital to see if mommy, daddy, or you could help Jenson? Well, the tests came back and one of us can help him.”

Sydney replies curiously, “Who is it?” to which I say, “Who do you think it is?”

She starts by guessing mommy, then daddy, and then a huge grin appears on her face as she says, “It’s me. Yay! It’s me.”

I go on to explain she will go to the hospital, they will take some of her cells and give them to Jenson, she will be in pain for a few days, and then she will be fine. She asks, “How much pain?” to which I reply, “Remember how much pain Jenson was in on Sunday? It will be less pain than that. Mommy will be with you in the hospital until you feel better.” Her face shows no concern as she chews on her curly fry.

She then asks, “So Jenson will be in the hospital too? And I will visit him?”

This leads to the news I have been dreading telling her, “Yes he will be in the hospital for a long time after and can’t be exposed to any germs. He can’t have any visitors but mommy and daddy.”

She immediately says, “Ok. So I will stay with Grandma and Grandpa.” She then reaches for more curly fries and dips them in her ketchup like all of this is no big deal.

I am amazed at her strength and say, “Sydney I love you so much. You are such a special girl!”. She smiles and gives me a hug.

We then go to her grandparent's house and she excitedly shares, “I am the one that gets to help Jenson!”

Sydney is giving the ultimate gift to her brother. Maybe our miracle will be coming in the form of a sister’s love. And what a happy ending it would be…

2 comments:

  1. What a girl! I pray that the procedure will go well. Sydney will always be touched with the knowledge that she was able to help in such an important way. I pray that her cells will conquer the bad cells in Jensons little body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful heart Syndey has! Praying for quick approval for the transplant and healing for Jenson. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete