Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Our Match

We start the new chemo clofarabine tomorrow. If it doesn’t work or if the genetic testing comes back abnormal, a bone marrow transplant will be the next option.

We got the results of the bone marrow test back. We have our match. It is not Doug. It is not me. It is Sydney.

The doctors and nurses are thrilled because she is a “perfect match”. They keep saying, “This is the best news we could hope for!”. Medically, a sibling match is the easiest match for a donor to receive.

I know I should be thrilled, but I have really mixed emotions. We have been spending the last 2 ½ years trying to protect Sydney and keep her life as normal as possible. Now she may be thrust into the middle of this medical craziness. I can’t protect Jenson, but at least we have been able to protect Sydney.

There is a part of me that wants to continue to protect her. But, I keep thinking back to what I wrote on the blog entry about bone marrow donors - “Just think, in exchange for 2 days of your life you could give someone life for years to come.” I just didn’t think this would apply to a 5 year old.

No one should have to make these types of decisions.

I read another stat on the bone marrow website than only 50% of people who need a transplant find a donor. If needed, Sydney would be our hope to give Jenson life.

I wish God would miraculously heal him so we are not faced with these types of decisions, but who am I to dictate or question God’s ways. What we really need is healing… time will tell in what form that healing may come.

Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment