Thursday, December 29, 2011

Back to Our Room

We just got back to our room. He made it safely through the liver biopsy.

They need an MRI prior to a bone marrow transplant so I asked them to add it on to this procedure instead of putting him under today and again next week. They had to do some arranging, but got it done also. Every patient needs an advocate – a good lesson to remember whenever someone you love needs medical care.

Doug and Jenson had a very long night. To get his hemoglobin and platelets high enough to give anesthesia, he needed 2 blood transfusions, 2 platelet transfusions, and a plasma transfusion (don’t even ask as it sounds more like a tv repair job than a medical procedure). He also had an issue with his port in the middle of the night. Daddy is super sleep-deprived and should be sainted for doing constant night duty.

This morning Jenson wanted something most of us take for granted…water. Unfortunately, he couldn’t have it since he needed anesthesia. So he kept repeating, “I can’t have water or food. I can’t have water or food. I can’t have water or food. But I thirsty!” with his little lip quivering.

The procedure itself went smoothly. They will monitor for internal bleeding over the next few days, but hopefully he made it through safely.

Now we wait on pins and needles for the results…

No comments:

Post a Comment