The Goldfish obsession started around age 1 and continued on. He used to carry bags of Goldfish with him everywhere he went. Plain, pretzel, or pizza were the typical flavors of the day. And then something very exciting happened...they came out with Cinnamon Goldfish! These were by far Jenson's favorite (and mine too).
We used to sit on the chair in the living room with the red bag of Cinnamon Goldfish. He would eat one and then feed one to me. One for Jenson, one for mommy. When Grandpa Jo would come over, he loved to share with him too. One for Jenson, one for Grandpa.Goldfish were always a big part of the grocery store treasure hunt. We'd enter the store. Jenson would play the role of detective looking carefully down each aisle on the look-out. He would spot them and call out, "It's Goldfish! Dare Plain, Pretzel, and ...Cinnamon." A huge smile would break out on his face.
And then one day it happened...Cinnamon Goldfish were no where to be found at Target. Jenson being a good problem solver replied with a simple, "Go Wal-Mart?". We checked Wal-Mart. No Cinnamon Goldfish. Jenson was un-phased as he said, "Go Dumb-Dumb (a local grocery store called Tom Thumb)?". We stopped at "Dumb-Dumb", but still no Cinnamon Goldfish. Jenson countered with "Try Market Street (another local grocery store)?". But again, we left empty handed.
"Where da Cinnamon Goldfish?" Jenson inquired like we were playing the ultimate game of hide-and-seek and the Cinnamon Goldfish were winning. Then it dawned on me, we may have a problem on our hands.
I checked on-line and discovered they were discontinued. I broke the news to Jenson. His reply was simple, "Why? Where Cinnamon Goldfish go?". He never cried, but he persistently keep asking for them. How could they possibility be gone? Didn't they realize his mad love for Cinnamon Goldfish?
He had me write Pepperidge Farm a note letting them know we really missed them. I even thought at one point that would make a good "Make-a-Wish" for Jenson.
I love thinking of Jenson and how something so small brightened his day. Maybe someday they will do a special run of Cinnamon Goldfish...and I will be stocking up!
I will always look for Cinnamon Goldfish now.
ReplyDeleteThat's so sweet. I never knew they made Cinnamon. Now I'll keep my eye out. :)
ReplyDelete