Tuesday brought the MRI test results.
- The bones looked like we expected... not good. Lots of lesions/tumors.
- The GI tract was inconclusive. It didn't show new activity which is good.
- The bad news is there MAY (they couldn't say definitively one way or another) be new activity in the brain and bone marrow. If this is true, it would be really bad news.
- His eyes may also be at risk given the lesions behind him. We're thinking they are ok at this stage as we haven't noticed any issues, but we'll be seeing the opthamologist sometime next week.
These results don't mean a different type of treatment, but still aren't good. We are waiting to worry about the brain, bone marrow, and eyes, but PLEASE pray for protection for them from this crazy disease.
Tonight we decide we need a little family fun night. We are playing in the game room with toys, doing puzzles, drawing, and playing games. Sydney and Jenson make up a game where she takes a big soft ball and bounces it off of Jenson's belly. They are sitting on the couch and having so much fun playing this new game. They are both "belly laughing" constantly. We all needed some laughter.
Sydney stands up on the couch, and Jenson of course copies her. I tell them both to sit down so they don't wind up falling off and getting hurt. A few seconds later they stand again.
The next moment happens in a split second as Jenson leans back and falls of the side of the couch onto the floor. He is screaming bloody murder (and this is one tough boy). I've never heard this cry before and can't tell at first if he's just really scared or really hurt or both.
He's crying so hard his lip is quivering. He says, "My arm hurts." I look down at his arm and his wrist and just above it are turning more red by the second. It's also starting to swell. Doug and I look at each other and go, "Another trip to the ER."
We call oncology so they can call ahead so we won't have to wait in the germy ER waiting room.
I take off with Jenson. Sydney is of course upset... both because she feels horrible he's hurt and because our super fun evening came to a dramatic close.
They instantly take us back to a private room. Jenson is crying the whole time. It's obvious this isn't just a sprain. He's protecting his arm by putting his favorite bunny over it. The cry of agony intensifies as anyone touches his arm.
"I want my daddy too! I need Daddy-O," Jenson says.
Doug calls Grandma and Grandpa to come over to stay with Sydney.
He arrives at the hospital just in time for x-rays. As we are walking back to x-ray, Jenson says "No pictures." That is not an option.
The x-rays confirm our suspicion...a broken wrist. With the lesions already in his wrists, his bones are like swiss cheese so a fall like that means they snap. Histiocytosis strikes again. I hate this disease.
He needs a splint for now which the nurse skillfully create in less than 5 minutes. Once it's on, his arm feels better. He's not even complaining about having his arm completely immobile up to the elbow.
Two hours later, we leave the hospital. Doug puts everything back in the car while I carefully wrap the car seat straps around Jenson's new splint.
Doug and I give each other a hug before he heads to his car. I say to Doug, "I want my old life back." He knows exactly what I mean.
Mercy please God. We are all maxed out.
Time to Remember
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment