Sunday
Sydney and I headed for the airport at 5:45am. She was full of energy and excitement despite how early it was… excited we were even getting to take the trip to California since Jenson did get out of the hospital Saturday.
This trip is about Sydney, getting to do some of her favorite things, seeing her friends, and making sure she knows how loved and special she is.
When we arrived, it’s an absolutely gorgeous, perfectly clear, warm enough but not too hot California day. The air is crisp and clean as we breathe in the California sunshine. We see the palm trees as we leave the airport. “Mommy, look it’s those trees we love!”. Palm trees. Sunshine. We look at each other and smile. We both needed this trip.
Our first stop was for lunch at Sydney’s favorite pizza place in Emeryville. “What’s it called again Mommy? Heart Pizza?”. “It’s called Pizza My Heart”, I replied. “Oh yeah. Pizza My Heart. They have the yummiest pizza ever!”, she replied. We get there at 11am CA time, so the pizza is straight from the oven and super hot and fresh. She orders cheese pizza and I try the pesto (which is awesome!!!). “Mommy, really, this is the best pizza ever. It’s so yummy!!” You can see the look of pure joy on her face as she gets to again eat her favorite pizza and love every bite. She finishes her gigantic single slice and wants another. We’re on “a Sydney vacation” so we splurge.
This is a very simple moment, yet I can feel myself totally “in the moment” more than normal…not at all thinking about what is next or thinking about anything else, just totally immersed in the joy of this moment. In the simple joy of watching Sydney enjoy her favorite pizza and cherish every bite. Perhaps the events of the last five weeks have taught me new life long lessons…the lesson of how to live more in the moment and not miss the simple amazing joys and blessings in life. To appreciate each and every minute of each day.
We head to her friend Olivia’s birthday party which doesn’t disappoint. Olivia has been her friend since she was 2 months old, so they have really grown up together. They pick right back up where they left off. She has a great time running, playing, holding hands with her friend. Friendships are special regardless of your age.
The day ends with more simple pleasures at Sydney’s favorite Indian food restaurant Khana Peena near our old neighborhood for dinner. We both ate too much because as Sydney says, “It’s so yummy we just can’t stop eating even though we’re full. We can’t stop eating. That’s so silly!” She’s right. We leave with uncomfortably full but happy stomachs and head for our hotel room and comfy pjs.
Monday
I drop Sydney at her old pre-school. To say she’s excited to see her friends is an understatement. Her teacher Dyanna told me “She stepped right back in like she had never left. She is still the same strong girl she was when she left. It is as though she has been on an extended vacation. And we're just glad she's back.” She is a strong girl. Strong and special.
Meanwhile I’m at work and believe it or not, I’m in a great mood. I mean a really great mood. Feeling happy to be out of the hospital. Happy to be connecting with people I genuinely like and enjoy being around. People keep saying, “I can’t believe you’re in such a great mood”. Once again, I’m experiencing joy in new ways.
We check in to see how Jenson is doing. The headline is, “a little bit better, but a ways to go still”. At least he’s continuing to head in the right direction.
Tuesday
Sydney’s friends at her old pre-school greet her at the door when I drop her off with big smiles and hugs. They are like the welcoming committee for my little girl. She walks in happy and confident and gives me a hug and kiss as I head off to work.
That evening we go to her friend Hailey’s house for dinner. They planned a mini-birthday celebration at their house for her since her birthday is coming up May 9 including cupcakes, candles, singing of happy birthday, and a gift. She’s thrilled, but sad when it’s time to go. “I wish we didn’t have to leave tomorrow and could stay longer”. Me too.
Wednesday
Sydney wakes up in the morning with a bad cough and saying her “neck hurts” (aka sore throat). I can feel a tickle in my throat as well. Another virus. This is not good news. Jenson’s immune system is at it’s weakest 7-10 days after his treatment. We’re at 7 days today. This means Jenson will need to stay away from Sydney and I when we return today for at least a week. Bummer. We were all really hoping to return to normal life again where our family could all be together in the same house. I break the news to Doug. He’s bummed too, but we know it’s what has to been done.
Sydney and I head to our last stop on our tour of Sydney’s favorite CA spots, and hit the “Boat Starbucks”. This Starbucks is our favorite one on the water with sailboats in the water and at the dock. We get breakfast and sit outside enjoying the beautiful spring morning, warm croissants, still water, hugs, and final part of our trip together.
I’m choosing to hold onto this joyful, peaceful memory rather than the sadness of yet another virus speed bump on this journey. The Bible does have infinite wisdom. Why worry about tomorrow when we can instead live in the joy of today? So true.
Kristin
Time to Remember
12 years ago
So happy that you and Sydney enjoyed such precious time together. Praying that those sore throats will be gone soon!
ReplyDelete