Thursday, January 10, 2013

Not Again

I'm an emotional mess.  It's like a baby grand piano fell from the sky and landed on top of me without warning.  

A friend of mine called me earlier this week asking for some advice.  A guy we used to work with at Campbells just lost his seven year old son Sean.  My friend Wendy asked, "How can I best support them through this?".  I asked her what happened.  She said, "I have been dreading telling you this, but Sean died of Histio."

Histio has taken the life of another little boy with so much life still ahead of him.  I HATE this disease.

His parents are planning his funeral this week.  They are faced with the crushing reality their lives are forever changed. A piece of them has died.  The pain of this loss never goes away and is especially devastating when it first hits.  You walk around in a comatose-like state of shock and confusion.  Complete and utter disbelief.  This cannot be happening.

Brian and Kimberly just lost their child.  Sean's sister Sydney (yet another parallel to our story) and brother Connor just lost their brother. 

Last night Sydney and I packed up a very special "Monkey Grin" package ("Monkey Grins" is the program Jenson and Sydney created to bring smiles to Histio families).  Sydney picked three rainbow monkeys and lollies.  They all had to be rainbow colored she said because "this is a very special package".  I knew before she told me why she picked rainbow --- Jenson has sent us several reminders through rainbows that he is okay and with God in heaven.

As we packed up the box and I wrote a heartfelt card, tears streamed down my face at the pain this family is enduring.  They are wrestling with the crippling grief of losing your precious child.

Please keep the Fischel family (Brian, Kimberly, Connor, and Sydney) in your prayers.  They are undoubtedly in disbelief.

Disbelief
Standing at your grave site
My heart in disbelief
This can not be happening
My world is filled with grief

Your life held so much promise
And a future filled with dreams
But now those dreams are shattered
And my heart rips at the seems

You are my precious child
Who I love and always will
My heart longs just to hold you
The void can not be filled

The pain cuts deep into my heart
A piece of me is gone
You are never coming back
How can I possibly go on?

The grief it overwhelms
Like a broken boat swept out to sea
I can barely function
I don't even know how to be me

I wish I could see you
If only for a day
I'd live in the moment
As we'd venture out to play

You'll never be forgotten
In my heart you'll always be
Until we meet again someday
And live eternally
--- Kristin Aaron

3 comments:

  1. Kristin,

    I just want to pass along this resource for your family, as well as any others who are grieving the loss of a child. Camp Sunshine offers family programs for children who have various life-threatening illnesses, and each summer, they also have at least one week of family camp for families who have lost a child. It's a place to rest, heal, connect with other families and just be a family together on a beautiful lake in Maine. It's free for families who are accepted. http://www.campsunshine.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie! I'll check it out.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kristen. Thanks for your continued inspiring words. My heart is also saddened for your friends' loss. May God bless them too as they grieve.

    ReplyDelete