Thursday, September 27, 2012

Carrying Jenson With Her

It happened again - another busted zipper on the backpack.  It is the second time in less than 6 months.  Perhaps it is time to move to a backpack without animated characters retailing at under $10?

Sydney and I head out on a backpack search.  Sydney says, "Wouldn't it be cool to have a "S" on my backpack?"  We walk into Pottery Barn Kids.  They have several options in the large size (with high quality zippers, reinforced pockets on the side for water bottles, a water-proof exterior, and a special pocket for pens and to hold things like her tissues).  This backpack should last longer than 6 months.

We narrow down the choices.  It is between the pink and blue flowers against a brown background or the lavender with white polka-dots.  Sydney doesn't usually go for brown, so I am pretty sure what the selection will be. 

Or not.  "Mommy, this may surprise you, but I like the one with the flowers the best."  She is always keeping me on my toes.

We take it to the check-out counter and find a white monogrammed pink sticker with the letter "S".  We check out and as the cashier hands me the receipt Sydney says, "Mommy I was hoping I could get a "J" too for Jenson."  I smile grateful for how she continues to honor Jenson as part of our family.  Of course she can have a "J" sticker!  We find a light blue sticker with the letter "J". 

"Where are you going to put it Sydney?" I ask her thinking it may go in her room somewhere.  "On my backpack next to my "S", she replies with a smile.  She shows me the spot on the smaller pocket at the bottom and we apply them that night.

As I am putting Sydney to bed she replies, "Mommy, thank you for my new backpack.   I really love it." 

I love it too.  And I love how in her own way she is taking Jenson to school with her everyday.

3 comments:

  1. Kids are the greatest! Sydney is a special little girl and the way she keeps her brother with her is so sweet.
    Prayers!
    Cindy Terrel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story, she is a special girl! Love her!
    Stacey schultz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea :) Love to your family. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete