Thursday, September 16, 2010

ER visit last night

Last night was intense. Jenson spiked a fever out of the blue around 7pm of 104 and any fever with him means you have to get to the ER within 1 hour for treatment.

The doctors (and us now too) really worry about fevers because it could be a sign of a serious infection related to his port. So, you rush to the ER for blood draws from his port, a urine sample, and immediate antibiotics that are administered through his port.

Last night I took him. Doug said Sydney was pretty upset and crying because she was worried about him so they were praying for him. Jenson was also really wanting his daddy and kept crying for him, so about 8:30pm Doug and Syd came to the hospital too. Jenson heard Syd's voice down the hall and got so excited and happy! So we all hung out in the ER until around 10pm when we decided I'd take Syd home so we could get her to bed.

Once we got home though, you could tell she wasn't going to bed. She was wide awake and went into caring mode. She started putting her nice blankets on my floor, was caring for her baby doll, set up what she called a "centerpiece" of all her favorite little animals and pictures on my night table for us, and got out her tea set and made us a "pretend cup of tea". I realized she was caring for me and trying to comfort us both (so sweet!). She didn't want to go to sleep until he was out of the hospital, so around midnight Doug let us know they were getting discharged so we went and brought them home and all went to bed. Needless to say, a long night for everyone.

Now we're in waiting mode. Not just for the skin biopsy results from last Friday, but now we wait to see if any bacteria shows up from the blood draws or urine sample. Since this isn't our first trip to the ER, we've now learned you may get a call 24 or 48 hours after the blood was draw telling you to go immediately to the hospital (if they suspect a secondary infection related to his port) or you may receive no phone call meaning the fever was likely just from a virus or ear infection (they checked his ears, but couldn't see anything due to wax build up... even though we have his ears cleaned out every 3 months apparently wax built up again already which is common with histiocytosis).

So the waiting game continues...

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. I heard about precious Jenson thru a mutual friend, Linda Morgan. I am praying for divine healing for this sweet boy and that God give you strength as you walk this journey. Blessings! Denice Webb

    ReplyDelete