Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Spin Cycle


I put my hand up near the end of my hair.  As I begin to grab the end of my hair with my fingers, I hear in my head Jenson’s sweet voice, “No Twisting!”

Jenson used to be my hair twisting police officer.  He would catch me at the most frequent scene of the crime – in the car.  The second I would get my hand near my hair, I’d hear it from the back seat as he’d catch me red-handed (or should I say brown handed).  “No twisting!”.

It always struck me as strange a boy who was really laid back about most things in life was so adamant about getting me to break this habit.  A little twisting never hurt anyone, right?  I’d try to explain this simple fact to him, “Jenson, it’s a stress release for me.”  But he wasn’t buying it.  “No twisting mommy, no twisting,” he’d say like he was teaching me a great life lesson.  

Given Jenson was a wise old soul with a gift for seeing things beneath the surface, I embarked on a journey this past year to reduce my hair twisting habit. 

And I discovered something…Jenson was right!  A spinning brain plus spinning hair equals even more spinning.  Why didn’t I see this before?

The urge is still around and still happens sometimes (especially when pressures and stresses mount), but Jenson’s voice reminds me of a better choice, “No twisting!"

No comments:

Post a Comment