Thursday, February 21, 2013

Not Afraid


"I am not afraid to die."

I've been doing a lot of reading recently - books written by people who claim to have visited parts of heaven.  While everyone's story is slightly different, there is one thing they all have in common... they didn't want to come back.

My old view of heaven consisted of harps and cherubims floating on clouds - not exactly my view of utopia.  Boring is more what comes to mind.  But my faulty perception has changed.

The authors all describe one word as the hallmark of heaven - love.  Extravagant, all consuming, and encompassing fail to capture the abundance of God's love.  They speak of colors we've yet to experience and the most beautiful music.  They tell of creation we've yet to see.  They speak of a delight and joy in using God given gifts you've yet to uncover.  If you take your best moment here on earth, it pails in comparison to heaven.   Sign me up for that program.  I'm ready for it.

I am no longer afraid to die.  Don't get me wrong - I am not looking to speed up the process.  That is up to God.  But I am excited about my future in eternity. 

The unanticipated blessing of not fearing death, is it frees you to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment