It can be hard to let others “carry our load”. I typically play the role of helping others so learning to ask for help and accept help is like exploring unchartered territory. I am not always sure how to navigate.
Our church is a place where others step in and help, even if they have never met you.
This Sunday I met Laura for the first time who arranges meals for us. She sets them up for every other day the week of chemo and the week after. I didn’t think we really needed the week after until this past week when we realized it freed us from having to think about meals and allowed us to really get our footing back after chemo week. Doug and I both said “This is really nice. It feels like a small weight has been lifted.”
I was telling Laura how much we appreciated it, and she said something profound… “When you don’t accept help you’re robbing people of their ability to serve. I don’t like cooking, but many people love it and that is a way they can use their gift and help.”
So true – I had not thought about it that way before.
I later run into Pastor Heather (the Children’s Pastor). She shares a story about one of the 6th graders. The whole kid’s class has been praying for Jenson in class on Sunday. A couple of weeks ago this 6th grade girl prayed the following prayer: “Jesus, please heal Jenson. Take his disease and give it to me instead so he can live his life.”
I am speechless (and I am sure standing there with my mouth wide open in shock) as Heather is sharing this story. I have prayed this
prayer many times as a mother – to take away my child’s pain and put it on me instead.
But this little girl is willing to take on his burden so he can live his life. A little girl who has never met Jenson is willing to take on the burden of his crazy disease – an extreme example of grace.
We are constantly amazed at the love poured out to our family through this journey. It gives us a window into the depths of people’s souls and the goodness and grace that lies within.
While I have never wanted to burden people, I am learning it is no burden for others to love and serve. It is a gift to everyone.
Time to Remember
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment