Sunday, September 11, 2011

A White Envelope

Jenson has not been walking since Thursday. When he tries he is in severe pain. We think the bone lesions are what is causing the severe pain. He has them throughout his legs and on his feet. But surprisingly, the area we suspect is causing this intense pain are the lesions on his hips.

So, we have been carrying him around. There comes a time when everyone needs someone to carry them through the hard times in life. It makes me think of the analogy that God carries us when we get so tired and weary we can not walk ourselves. While I'm carrying Jenson, I feel like God is carrying me.

Tomorrow is the start of the new chemo treatment which will hopefully bring healing. Each new chemo cocktail also brings with it uncertainty and fear. Will this one be too toxic? Will the side effects outweigh the benefits? Will it have long term effects? Will he make it through this treatment?

We have to give those concerns to God and take it a day at a time. It is time. What we have been doing is not working, and this ride has been getting harder and harder on his bones.

God knows we need support right now. Today he sent it in a white envelope.

As I go to pick Sydney up from her class at church, the teacher tells me the Children's Pastor, Pastor Heather, wants to see us before we leave.

We go find Pastor Heather. She says, "I have something for you. It's from one of our kids." She hands me a white envelope.

I look puzzled.

She goes on to tell me that last week the children's class started praying for Jenson. One of the little girls named Kennedy shows up today at church with a white envelope for Jenson. She has been collecting money for him from her family and friends since she started praying for him.

I say to Pastor Heather, "Who? I don't know Kennedy." My eyes start to well-up with tears as I realize God has placed compassion for my little boy on the heart of a little girl I don't even know.

Just then Kennedy walks in with her mom. She has a huge smile on her face. A beaming, beautiful smile. She is probably in 4th or 5th grade.

I give her a hug and thank her for her generous gift for Jenson. She smiles even bigger as tears of joy are running down my cheeks.

She asks, "Do you have a picture of Jenson? I want to see what he looks like and show my friends and family."

I show her a picture on my iphone. She replies, "Awh. He's so cute." I send it to her so she can share it with others. I thank her mom, who also has tears in her eyes as she can see how much this act of compassion has touched us.

God gives us reminders of his love for us through others. This week it's in the form of a white envelope from Kennedy... a reminder of compassion, mercy, and faith.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment