Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Chemo Tuesday... getting more challenging

As Jenson gets older, chemo appointments are becoming more challenging.

As many of you know, the pace when you're in a hospital or doctors office is often filled with waiting, waiting, and more waiting. And when you're there for 2-3 hours at a time (and in the car commuting there for another hour each visit), that can make for a long visit.

The nice thing is they have several toys and books and even a DVD player. We try to save the DVD player and bubbles for when they access his port with the needle and for the treatment itself, as it's hard enough to get a 21 month old to sit holding your hands for 5-10 minutes so we save the DVD and bubble blowing for the "nuclear meltdown options" as we like to refer to them to ensure no major issues with the treatment being administered.

That leaves a lot of other time left to entertain Jenson while at each visit though. At least a couple of screaming meltdowns now occur each visit... and believe it or not they are usually unrelated with the actual blood draws, doctor exams, or the administering of the chemo itself. It's usually along the lines of "I saw someone go out that door, and now I want to go and I'm really mad you're not letting me" or "What do you mean it's time to see the doctor because I'm in the middle of playing with these blocks and building this tower and I'm not going anywhere until I'm done" or "My mommy went to the bathroom and I'm really mad about it". Whew! Exhausting by the time we leave (both physically and emotionally). You definitely feel like you got whipped around.

Welcome any tips for portable things to entertain young children.

By the way, Jenson has become quite the good walker!!! He's walking around everywhere now and really much happier now that he can get around faster. Very fun to watch him grow in this area...

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment