People really want to help others in need. But often in your greatest time of need you struggle to answer this simple question. You feel so overwhelmed you can't see what you need. And I also struggled with not wanting to impose on others (silly I know since people offered).
If you want to help others in need, the best thing to do is act. Don't ask for permission, just do it! Here are a few "help-ful" ideas:
- Drop off dinner (ask only what night and for food allergies)
- Buy a gift card to a restaurant
- Write a note of encouragement
- Pick a day to babysit and give parent's a night out
- Send chocolate covered strawberries...okay, maybe this one isn't universal - I have a minor obsession :-) but any kind of special treat brings a smile
- Pick up "staple items" from the grocery store (bread, milk, bananas) and drop them off
- Send flowers
- Set up a time to clean their house
The day after my husband died, a neighbor showed up at my door with a big cooler full of ice with all kinds of sodas. It was very much appreciated. Someone else mailed me a sympathy card with three books of stamps. Those came in handy when I wrote all of the thank-you cards when I was able.
ReplyDelete~Margaret