Thursday, July 4, 2013

Somehow Stronger


I didn’t think it was possible.  This is the kind of thing that destroys marriages not makes them stronger.  Yet somehow, the odds are being defied.

It’s been an incredibly rough year.  It has been very bumpy.  There have been intense anger explosions on both sides and the enormous weight of grief crippling our household.  But somehow, with God’s grace, He has used the intensity of those emotions to bring us closer together.  

I’m not talking about a fake picture perfect we never have conflict or different opinions on things.  We are both imperfect human beings.

I’m talking about a deeper respect and love for each other.  And we have our wise little teacher Jenson to thank for it.  He gave each of us powerful words of wisdom around appreciating each other.

Kiss daddy.  Be thankful for mommy. 

I still remember that day at the hospital.  We were hoping and praying Jenson would make it to transplant.  Doug arrived at the hospital for “evening shift change” in a funk and snapped at me for no reason.  That set me off.  I was fried too and didn’t deserve to be snapped at.  “I’m out of here,” I announced.  I went to give Jenson a hug and he put out his hand like he was stopping traffic.  “I need you kiss daddy.”
 
Kiss and make up.  Don’t hold a grudge.  Don’t get annoyed over the small things.  Love unconditionally.  Kiss daddy.

Doug’s lesson came at the dinner table.  We started a new family ritual post-transplant.  Each night we would say one thing we were thankful for.  Doug, Sydney, and I changed ours up each night.  But not Jenson.  He had one thing he was consistently thankful for (and it is the best gift anyone has ever given me).  “I thankful for mommy,” Jenson would declare as he’d look directly into my eyes and lean his bald head in for a hug.  

This statement night after night stuck with Doug.  Be thankful for mommy.

I never dreamed Jenson would give us the best marriage advice we’ve ever received.

 Kiss daddy.  Be thankful for mommy. 

It's made our marriage stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment