Monday, April 15, 2013

Diverted


Our plans are not always God’s plans.  While we can’t control life, we can control how we react to it.  I am living that lesson this moment.

I was on my “routine” work trip from Dallas to San Francisco.  The take-off was routine, but the journey through the beautiful puffy cumulus clouds was extra special today.  As I admired them out the window, I noticed they looked like the softest and most fluffy cotton you’ve ever touched.  I smiled at God’s amazing beauty here on earth in something as simple as a cloud.  This flight is different…it’s about perspective, I thought to myself as the American Airlines jet cruised through the gorgeous puffy clouds.  

That thought would prove to be true as our plane begins flying low one hour into the flight.  The pilot comes on the loud speaker and makes an announcement, “We will be diverting to Albuquerque due to a medical emergency on-board.  Thank you for your understanding.”

I throw up a quick prayer for the person in distress on the plane.  Their world (and the world of their loved ones) is being rocked to the core.  Life is precious and you never know when your final day is coming.

We land to a group of ambulances and paramedics.  The paramedics head for the back of the plane.  Shortly after, they head towards the front with a man in his late 70’s who is wearing an oxygen mask and has an oxygen tank following right behind him.  An older woman and two other people exit the plane with him.  This family’s trip has been unexpectedly diverted.
 
It’s around 4pm Albuquerque time.  We sit on the plane for about 45 minutes for them to re-fuel and do a quick maintenance check so we can get back on course for San Francisco.  The pilot comes over the loud speaker, “Folks, we are re-fueled but have a slit in our front tire…unfortunately they are going to need to fly in a new tire and it won’t arrive until 9pm.  It will take 45 minutes for maintenance to change it once it arrives.”  New scheduled departure time?  11:30pm.

They have us de-plane.  May as well grab dinner.  The sign at the airport quick serve restaurant says, “World famous Green Chile Chicken Soup”.  If it's world famous, I may as well give it a go.  There is no false advertising here.  This soup is REALLY good (if you like a little kick)!   

I am reminded of my sweet boy's name for this city - "Alba-Turkey".  He was thrilled to arrive in “Alba-Turkey” after a long day of driving cross-country (during our move move from California to Dallas).  He excitedly greeted everyone in the hotel lobby with a big smile, wave of the hand, and “Hi!!!”.  With him as my role model, I feel inspired to make the best of it.  I wander upstairs to a relatively undiscovered viewing area. 

It’s a gorgeous view of the mountains which only airport staff seem to know about.  It has lounge chairs and couches.  The view from up here is great.  Peaceful, relaxing, and serene.  Perhaps God is giving me a little change of perspective for a reason.  

Today’s lesson:  enjoy unexpected surprises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment