What do I say? I don't want to screw things up and say something stupid. I feel awkward.
It's what people are thinking but only your close friends tell you it's actually happening. I know it can feel incredibly awkward at times. It's awkward for me too - especially when people avoid me because they don't know what to say.
My friend Linda gives the best awkwardness buster, "Just talk to her.
She's still the same person. She's still Kristin. She just had
something tragic happen to her."
It's true. I am fundamentally the same person. Sure, I have an
obvious scar over my heart and deep pain that oozes out sometimes. But I
still like to laugh. I still like to connect with people. I still
like to hear other people's stories. I still like to help others . I
still get impatient. I still like puns. I am still Kristin, just with an even deeper desire to connect with people for I know life isn't about to-do lists. It's about relationships - loving and being loved.
The best
thing you can do for someone who is hurting is be there. Be with them. Let them know you care. Let them know you are thinking about them. You can't take away their pain, but you can
soothe their pain with your loving presence.
And don't feel uncomfortable talking about my boy, for nothing brings me greater joy than to know other people remember him too!
Time to Remember
12 years ago
Kristin, very well said, although I do not get a chance to see you much since you moved, I think about you, Jensen and your family every day. Please let me know when you are back in the Bay Area, would love to connect. Mo
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to having dinner soon Mo!
ReplyDelete