Monday, February 21, 2011

Getting better and chemo Monday

Thanks for all the prayers for healing! We all seem to be on the road to recovery from this virus.

Today was chemo Monday, and I have to say it was the fastest and most efficient appointment we've ever had. We're enjoying the newer facility and the fact that the lab and pharmacy are right next to our doctor's office.

We have to do another scope of his GI tract sometime in Mar/April to see if the extra chemo drug we added is helping even though we know he's not totally healed yet. Our pediatric GI doctor in California (Dr Heyman) highly recommended the department Director in Dallas and he agreed to take us. So he'll be doing our next scope and biopsies sometime soon. Doug is meeting with him tomorrow.

Talking about our upcoming scope stirred up a bunch of emotions again for us. Doug and I were talking about Dr Heyman in California and how he was the first doctor to really listen seriously to our concerns when Jenson kept throwing up several times a day back in July 2009. I still remember how he listened to all the symptoms (vomitting, extremely puffy eyes, hands, and ankles, continued skin patches) and then he found microscopic blood in his stool and immediately walked us over to get x-rays, ultrasounds, and said "We need to admit him now". I remember it being such a mix of relief that someone finally believed something was wrong and complete and total fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of what they might find... fear of losing him. Then we got the news it was LCH of the GI tract and we'd have to start chemo. Chemo. The unimaginable had just happened to us, we were going to be "that family with the child on chemo". And we needed to start thinking about chemo as "our friend". The "friend" that might help save Jenson.

We've certainly come a long, long way since then and continue to be incredibilty thankful for his improvement in his GI tract and no more vomitting. But he's not healed yet, especially since this crazy disease is now attacking the bones in his skull too (in addition to the GI tract and skin). As often happens with this disease, the good news is mixed with the bad news.

So we keep boldly asking for good news in the form of a miracle of healing upon our little boy. I pray God will prove the doctors wrong and heal him now.

Please pray boldly for Jenson's healing.

Kristin

1 comment:

  1. I am going to be praying so bodly for Jenson's healing.

    Heal me or Lord and I will be healed.
    Jeremiah 17:14

    and for you...I pray:

    See, the Sovereign LORD comes with power,
    and he rules with a mighty arm.
    See, his reward is with him,
    and his recompense accompanies him.
    11 He tends his flock like a shepherd:
    He gathers the lambs in his arms
    and carries them close to his heart;
    he gently leads those that have young.
    Isaiah 40:10,11

    ReplyDelete