Thursday, September 26, 2013

Never Forgotten


“They no have ma-i-damia.  No ma-i-damia,” Jenson informed me.  “They no have dem.” 

The tall blue container of Macadamia nuts had become a staple on our Costco list.  Jenson knew my love for macadamia nuts.  He would play scout every Costco run.  Once he spotted them in the store, he'd excitedly bounce up and down in the shopping cart.

And one day, they were gone.  They no have dem.

But he always remembered to look.  He’d give me the update after every Costco run, “No ma-i-damia mommy.  They no have dem.  I found Churro, but no ma-i-damia.”  

About six months after the date of their disappearance, I came home one evening after work.  A little boy giddy with excitement greeted me at the door.  He was racing around like a kid who had eaten a dozen donuts.  He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the pantry.  He mumbled with such excitement I could barely understand - “I found dem – I found dem – I found dem! Damia!  Damia!!!”

As we entered the pantry, he proudly pointed upward at the blue container and exclaimed, “I found ma-i-damia!”   His smile stretched ear to ear.  They had been missing for some time.  They were missing but never forgotten.

Missing but never forgotten.  Just like my sweet boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment